How Much Does a 45’ Shipping Container Cost? Buying and Rental Guide
In general, a 45-foot shipping container can be purchased for around $6000 or rented for roughly $287 a month. Determining factors will include the following:
- Will the shipping container you buy be new or used?
- Will the shipping container need to be climate controlled?
- If you’re renting the metal shipping container, how long will you have it?
Compare quotes from steel shipping container suppliers near you:
What You Need to Know about 45′ Metal Shipping Containers
450-foot shipping containers are standard-size intermodal containers used for the transportation of goods by sea, rail, and truck. They are typically made of steel and measure 45 feet in length, 8 feet in width, and 8 feet 6 inches in height. They have a maximum gross weight of around 67,200 pounds and can be used to transport a wide variety of cargo, including dry goods, refrigerated items, and even vehicles. They are a convenient and cost-effective way to transport large quantities of goods and are commonly used in international shipping.
Common Uses of 45-Foot Steel Storage Containers
- International shipping: 40-foot containers are commonly used for the transportation of goods by sea, rail, and truck in international trade.
- Storage: Due to their durability and weather-resistance, shipping containers are often used as temporary or permanent storage solutions for a variety of goods, including construction materials, household items, and equipment.
- Pop-up shops and retail spaces: Shipping containers can be repurposed into unique retail spaces for pop-up shops, markets, and other short-term commercial uses.
- Offices and workspaces: Shipping containers can be converted into offices, workshops, and other types of workspaces, providing a cost-effective and portable alternative to traditional building construction.
- Homes and housing: Shipping containers can be repurposed into homes, apartments, and other types of housing. This is a growing trend as it’s relatively inexpensive and eco-friendly
- Emergency housing: Shipping containers can be rapidly deployed as emergency housing in disaster zones, refugee camps, and other crisis situations.
- Public restrooms and showers: Shipping containers can be converted into public restrooms and showers, providing a cost-effective solution for outdoor events and construction sites.
- Farming and agriculture: Shipping containers can be used as greenhouses and other types of agricultural structures, such as chicken coops, and barns
- Mining and oil drilling: Shipping containers are used to store and transport equipment and supplies in mining and oil drilling operations.
- Recycling and waste management: Shipping containers can be used for the collection, sorting, and storage of recycling and waste materials.
Pros and Cons of Renting vs Buying 45 Ft. Shipping Containers
There are many advantages and disadvantages of both renting and buying 45 foot shipping containers. Here’s what you need to know:
Renting a 45-foot metal shipping container has the following pros:
- Low upfront cost: Renting requires little to no initial investment, making it a good option for those who want to use a container temporarily or aren’t sure if they want to commit to buying one.
- Flexibility: Renting allows you to use the container for a specific period of time and then return it or rent a different size or type of container if your needs change.
- No maintenance or repair costs: The container owner is typically responsible for maintaining and repairing the container, which can save you money in the long run.
Renting a 45-foot metal shipping container has the following cons:
- Limited use: You can only use the container while you’re renting it and must return it when the rental period is over.
- Higher long-term costs: Renting a container can be more expensive in the long run than buying one, especially if you need to use the container for an extended period of time.
Buying a 45-foot metal shipping container has the following pros:
- Long-term use: Once you buy the container, you own it and can use it for as long as you want.
- Lower long-term costs: Buying a container can be less expensive in the long run than renting one, especially if you need to use the container for an extended period of time.
- Customization: When you buy a container, you can make any modifications you want to make it more suitable for your specific needs.
Buying a 45-foot metal shipping container has the following cons:
- High upfront cost: Buying a container requires a significant initial investment.
- Maintenance and repair costs: As the owner, you are responsible for maintaining and repairing the container, which can be costly.
- Limited mobility: Once you buy a container, it’s typically difficult and expensive to move it to a different location.
Where to Buy Steel Shipping Containers
There are several places where you can buy steel shipping containers, including:
- Container dealerships: These companies specialize in selling new and used shipping containers and typically have a wide selection of sizes and types available. They also offer modifications and customization services.
- Shipping lines and freight companies: These companies often have a surplus of containers that they are looking to sell. They might not have a wide selection, but they can be a good option if you’re looking for a container in a specific location.
- Online marketplaces: Websites such as Alibaba and eBay have a wide variety of shipping containers for sale from different sellers around the world.
- Local classifieds: Check local classifieds in newspapers and online for shipping containers for sale.
- Auctions: Shipping containers are often sold at auction, both online and offline, which can be a cost-effective way of buying a container but you may not have the luxury to inspect it prior to buying.
- Local Dealers: the most popular and easiest way to find and get a great deal on a storage container is the local suppliers in your area. Use the button below to get started.
When buying a shipping container, it is important to inspect it thoroughly and make sure it is in good condition before making a purchase. And make sure to buy from a reputable supplier.